Panhandle Butterfly House - Navarre, Florida
Location: 8581 Navarre Parkway, (Hwy. 98) at the foot of the Navarre bridge
Mail Address: P. O. Box 5208, Navarre, FL 32566
larger versions of most images
are available by clicking on the image
MONARCH MADNESS 2012
Our thanks to these and other wonderful folks from our local community who are helping make Monarch Madness a success again this year through their participation and/or financial support!
(Mention the Panhandle Butterfly House when you make your Hampton Inn reservations and get a special Monarch Madness room rate!)
Monarch Madness is proud to be a venue of The Beaches to Woodlands Tour of Santa Rosa County
It's that time of year again!!
Our 6th Annual Monarch Madness celebration!
Monarch Madness 2012
Chart copyright and courtesty of Journey North
Open to the Public, Friday and Saturday, October 12 and 13 from 10 AM to 5 PM
Monarch Madness is in celebration of the monarch butterfly’s long annual journey.
Mid October is the peak migration season in the Navarre area.
Come join us at the Panhandle Butterfly House and grounds at the scenic Navarre Park on Highway 98 in Navarre, Florida. The festival offers fun for the entire family.
Monarch Madness highlights:
- educational exhibits including Jr. Lepidopterist where kids learn about metamorphosis and earn the opportunity to release a butterfly into the vivarium
- a crafts area where young children make and take fun and educational butterfly-related crafts
- the entire family will enjoy strolling through our gardens and following the self-guided tour teaching them about the Monach's incredible annual migration
- tag and release a monarch butterfly: youngsters will learn about the difference in the male and female Monarch and become aware of the significance of tracking the Monarch's annual migration. Then they can participate in tagging a monarch butterfly on its way to Mexico for the winter
- maybe your young scientist would like to try their hand at a science experiment at the 4-H booth?
- or learn about our marine wonders from our local Santa Rosa County Marine Sciences agent
- if you get hungry the Navarre Krewe of Jesters is hosting a food booth with drink and fresh lunch/snack items to purchase
- need new plants for your butterfly garden? Garden Gate Nursery, from Gulf Breeze, will be on hand to help you pick out the perfect nectar and host plants for your butterfly garden and maybe a caterpillar rearing cage or other butterfly/pollinator related gardening item
- and just for fun a Bounce House from Air Mania!
Also available for purchase will be educational items, monarch caterpillar food seed (tropical milkweed seed, Asclepias curassavica), our wonderful butterfly and insects tee-shirts and other items to help support the Panhandle Butterfly House.
On Saturday we will be sharing Navarre Park with the Greater Navarre Beach Arts Association Fall Arts Festival. This will be a big day!!
Admission to Monarch Madness is FREE, however, donations are encouraged and very much appreciated.
Celebrate Monarch Madness October 8 - 11 and 15 -19 with the award winning
The Panhandle Butterfly House’s award winning “Kiderpillar School” program will be offering tours (advance scheduling is required) during our Monarch Madness celebration. We will be open for scheduled tours October 8 thru 11, and October 15 thru 19. Last October we were able to schedule many school groups and we hope to do the same this year. Larger tours may have the benefit of three separate lessons covering the life cycle and habits of butterflies, the journey of the monarch simulated in the gardens, and the ecosystem of the estuary and a freshwater pond. A combined group of UF/Extension Master Gardeners and community volunteers teaches the program. Tours will also be available after school hours to benefit youth programs. We are proud to say that our curriculum meets the Sunshine State Standards for Florida. Please contact us to schedule a tour.
Comment about our website? Contact us!
Copyright 2007-2013 by the Panhandle Butterfly House and/or webmaster